Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

bbbad ways of a caregiver or nurse

Seven signs of a bad caregiver or nurse

Award Winning Non-Fiction Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
7 Signs of a BAD Caregiver or Nurse:


  1. Can’t get off phone. This type of caregiver is always on the cell phone. Constantly speaking on phone while getting PAID to protect and monitor elderly or disabled patients is disrespectful and unprofessional. There are rare exceptions. For instance, my severely-autistic son is obsessed with walking. If a day shift nurse is walking 5-plus hours outside with my son, I don’t mind if nurse chats on a hands free cell phone, because it helps break the monotony. However, if I observe a nurse arguing on phone, or otherwise distracted from my son’s needs—as in one case when I witnessed my son pick up leaves off ground and stuff them in his mouth, and the nurse didn’t even notice, no more hands free cell, it’s over. A GOOD caregiver or nurse doesn’t use their cell phone during a shift, unless it’s a necessary and urgent communication. Or a special circumstance as noted above.

2. Can’t stop texting: This caregiver is always texting. This is WORSE than talking on cell phone. Why? Because caregiver’s hands aren’t ready to react quickly, in the event a patient, let’s say, like my autistic son, suddenly hits self, bolts into street, eats foreign objects, or touches something hot. Texting takes the person’s hands, eyes and focus OFF client or patient. The can’t stop texting caregiver is pre-occupied with his or her own issues, instead of doing the job they are PAID for, which is to be involved in the patient’s issues. The can’t- stop-texting caregiver is better suited to work as a Text Chat Operator. A GOOD caregiver or nurse does not constantly text while on duty.


3. Can’t shut-up. This caregiver shows up to work and the first thing isn’t to ask how the patient is doing, but to launch into a rapid flow of chit-chat about a variety of subjects other than patient status, needs and care. Or they sit down and begin talking about personal problems. “My day was so awful,” they might say. And then waste 25 minutes going on about what happened. They may also ramble about who they saw, what they ate, or how they did something. There is no end to the talking. To them, it’s as if they’ve just arrived to a social support group. It’s unknown what the etiology of the can’t-shut-up personality is. It could be Bi-Polar or ADHD. The bottom line is: A GOOD caregiver comes to work and asks how patient is doing, what meds were given, what patient health and behavioral status is. There is always time for a little talk later, which is fine, and nice, so long as it isn’t burdening family members or delaying other nurses coming off shift. A GOOD caregiver or nurse is focused on patient care and doesn’t burden others with non-stop talking.


4. Always late. Not occasional lateness. This type is ALWAYS late. I’m talking 15-30 minutes late. You know the type. And there is always a ridiculous, dramatic excuse, as if they’ve got an excuse list they play off. A GOOD caregiver or nurse is nearly always on time.

5. Always asking for something. NOT occasional asking. ALWAYS asking. Can I have my check early? Can I borrow this or that from your house? (I worry about this type because now you’re wondering if they’re scoping out personal stuff in the home). Can I get off early? Can I come in later? I forgot my lunch, do you mind if I eat some of your food? Do you mind if I take a shower here? Do you mind if I bring along my friend? Can I bring my Christmas presents to wrap? Can I use your air compressor, I have a flat tire? Can you drive to the nearest hardware store and pick me up some jumper cables, my battery is dead. Gosh, I wish I had a home like this, you’re so lucky (coveting the home or things of a patient is a major RED FLAG). These are actually things bad caregivers and nurses have said in the past. Nurses that no longer work with our autistic son. If I can spare ONE family the misery, I’m happy. A GOOD caregiver or nurse never BURDENS or BADGERS family with constant requests, personal wants or repeatedly asks for special favors.

  1. Got no skills. This caregiver or nurse is a puzzling presentation. The caregiver may have 13 years experience and a degree from a nursing school, but they don’t know how to give oxygen, don’t understand what a seizure is and don’t understand how to give medications with food (i.e.. they plop whole pills onto a spoon with peanut butter and stuff in patient’s mouth, with the peanut butter stuck on palate, patient gagging, and they keep stuffing more peanut butter in—just clueless). Don’t bathe or clean patient properly. This type of caregiver’s idea of a bath is a 5-minute shower where water falls off the body and then it’s out, towel dry, and on goes a sprinkle of powder. They don’t know how to change a diaper. Diaper is always half on, too loose or too tight. They can’t write proper nursing notes. Don’t understand ambulation therapy (walking) with a patient. Don’t know how to assist a patient in and out bed, bath or cars. Don’t understand how to monitor side effects of medications. A GOOD caregiver or nurse has got GOOD skills. Skills like health monitoring, personal care, patient safety, wound care, nutritional knowledge, medication management and patient assistance. Skills they practice; take pride in and improve on.

  1. Bad Attitude. Easily offended. Constantly depressed. Constantly complains. No sense of humor. Negative. Families living with a disabled or elderly relative who requires constant care are often tired, cynical and depressed enough. They don’t need someone paid to help, entering the home and tripling the stress. Any caregiver or nurse that views the patient in a negative light or says negative things about the patient’s health status--should be terminated. Also, nurses who judge or gossip about patient or family are bad people to have around. You can’t trust them. They aren’t loyal. Nurses and caregivers are expected to protect the privacy of both patient and family. A GOOD caregiver or nurse is always positive and displays a helpful, supportive personality. Above all, a good caregiver is always the patient’s cheerleader. Cheering for hope, healing, comfort and happiness. Indeed, a positive, uplifting attitude about patient is so critical, I’d tolerate a can’t-shut-up or always late nurse, as long as they were good in every other way, with my son. That’s how much I value a positive, uplifting attitude.

Finally, remember there are more GOOD caregivers and nurses than BAD ones. It’s equally important to remember BAD ones can seriously harm or kill your loved one. So don’t be too cynical or too naïve. A family should honor and respect good caregivers and nurses. Little things matter. I keep a candy jar in my son’s room for nurses. I thank nurses for good things done with my son. A GOOD caregiver or nurse is a blessing. Treat them well. Hopefully, this list will provide insight into securing GOOD caregivers for your precious loved ones.

http://www.autismseizureselfinjuriousbehavior.com/2012/03/seven-signs-of-bad-caregiver-or-nurse.html

No comments:

Post a Comment